This post is intended to be a dummy guide, best practices, or whatever you call it… about setting up a network while working with virtual boxes on a desk- or laptop. I was setting up a virtual box environment with several Virtual Boxes on my laptop, and as I’m not a network – specialist, I came across a few annoying things, challenges if you like. And when I was googling around, it appeared to be I’m not the only one, so I felt the urge to share some experiences. Already published this post on the amis-blog by the way, a long time ago. Decided to publish it also on my own blog.
The OTN Tour of Latin America has come to an end and I was very lucky to have been a part of Northern part of the tour. My OTN Tour consisted of visiting 3 countries in one week and giving 8 hours of presentations. This blog post looks back at the OUG Panama conference and I'll have separate blog posts for each of the other countries.
Anyone who has used Oracle for a while will be familiar with the Parent/Child locking "issue" when it comes to tables and indexes on foreign keys. For many years you’d hear people crying "bug" etc but thankfully most now know the reason, and accept it as sensible behaviour.
But lets take a look at a slight variation on that theme.
Lets start with a table called "LOC" which will be our parent table in this example. Note that it is an IOT, and we’ll also have a child table "LOC_CHILD", which is also an IOT.
On node1, I discover and add a disk to ASM. NFS "devices" asmdisk.1 to asmdisk.6 are present as ASM Disks. asmdisk.7 has been added on NFS mount point /data1. (Disks asmdisk.3 to asmdisk.6 are on /data2)
I start on node1 in my Cluster
[root@node1 ~]# su - grid
SQL*Plus: Release 220.127.116.11.0 Production on Sat Aug 16 23:42:02 2014
Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.
I’m sharing this in the hope of saving someone from an unwelcome surprise.
I recent upgraded an Exadata system from 18.104.22.168.1 to 22.214.171.124.1. Apart from what turns out to be a known bug that resulted in the patching of the InfiniBand switches “failing”, it all seemed to go without a snag. That’s until I decided to do some node failure testing…
I’ve been struggling to find time to have any interaction with the Oracle community for the last couple of months – partly due to workload, partly due to family matters and (okay, I’ll admit it) I really did have a few days’ holiday this month. So making my comeback with a bang – here’s a quick comment about the 126.96.36.199 in-memory feature, and how it didn’t quite live up to my expectation; but it’s also a comment about assumptions, tests, and inventiveness.
As a dba there should always be some room to improve your backup and recovery scenarios. This blog is about a judgment day scenario – losing a 3TB database in full and your bosses are asking what will you do and when will the database be back on its feet.